CUBAN STYLE ARROZ CON POLLO
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- Pinch of salt, pepper, cumin for chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups uncooked long grain white rice, rinsed (you can use Valencia rice too)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon annatto powder, (or turmeric) to color the rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and cumin. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Over medium-high heat, place chicken thighs in the pan and brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, add remaining olive oil and sauté onion, garlic and red pepper, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add rice, chicken stock, tomato sauce, annatto powder, bay leaf, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add chicken. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 45-60 min. Add frozen peas, stirring until warm. Fluff rice with fork, serve, and enjoy!
Classic Cuban-Style Arroz Con Pollo
Amount Per Serving (1 serving)
Calories 422Calories from Fat 193
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4.6g23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.